By Jeanette Maynes
Once again the Deck Restaurant was packed for another huge night of Salsa dancing!! Dance enthusiasts came from everywhere; Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Maryborough, Gold Coast and of course Hervey Bay!
We started the night of with some drinks and our buffet dinner then the dancing began with a performance by Lupita and Wendy from the Latin and Alternative Dance Studio in Maryborough. The ladies went off and their timing was spot on, I was exhausted just watching by the end of the performance. This coming Saturday the 1st of November the group is having their end of year performance if anyone is keen to see more high energy dancing!
The performance was followed by the lucky door prizes. First prize being a 3 month membership to Otto’s Fitness World was won by Ruth a member of the Fraser Coast Latino Group. Second prize of a $50 Seafood Meal voucher at the Deck Restaurant was won by Jennifer.
The dance class then began with the dance floor over flowing as we ran through the basic salsa moves in a very high energy lesson with Lupita. There was much laughter especially as we tried to step from side to side and shake our shoulders at the same time, many of us stating we must look pretty uncoordinated trying to do this saucy move!
Later on in the night we had a surprise announcement for Jose, President of the Fraser Coast Latino Group who was having his birthday. His members brought along a cake and Ruth led everyone as we sang ‘Happy Birthday’. It was lovely to celebrate Jose’s birthday with him.
Bob Campbell from the Latino Group brought along his conga and bongo drums and was absolutely sensational! He really set the mood and I was amazed at his skill with all the different beats. Even Dom and Di couldn’t resist banging out some tunes!
The dancing went till late and it was fantastic to be able to watch the experienced dancers from the Sunshine Coast and Bundaberg with their professional Salsa and Merengue moves on the dance floor plus Lupita and Anna with their husbands from Maryborough. The Fraser Coast Latino Group also took over the dance floor with Jose at one stage leading a congo line through the restaurant and it finishing with everyone doing limbo under a broom!!!
Thank you to the Deck for letting us have so much unrestricted FUN!
I can’t wait to see everyone again at the next Salsa Party!
Please feel free to email me with any positive or negative feedback from the night or for the next party… firstname.lastname@example.org
To see more images please click here or go to the gallery.
1. To all who attended, without your support the night would not have been such a success and so much FUN, especially those who had travelled from the Sunshine Coast, Bundaberg, Maryborough and Gold Coast!!!
2. The Maryborough Latin and Alternative Dance Club for the fantastic performance and dance lesson. Thank you so much Lupita & Wendy!
3. The Deck Restaurant for a superb venue, delicious buffet, lucky door prize, sensational service and room presentation. Especially Nada, Z, Dom & Di plus all the members of their professional team!
4. Fraser Coast Sound and Lighting for the DJ and excellent sound system. Thanks heaps Tony!
5. Otto’s Fitness World for the donation of a 3 month gym membership for a lucky door prize. Thanks Dan that was very kind!
6. The Independent Newspaper for their editorial support. Thank you Ben!
7. The Fraser Coast Chronicle for their editorial support. Thank you Toni!
8. Bob Campbell for his amazing drumming on the night to create the right atmosphere! Thank you so much Bob!
9. Ben May from Design House for the photography on the night and website support and maintenance. Thanks Ben!
10. Naomi Wood and Anna for their professional PR work leading up to the event. Thanks Naomi and Anna!
11. Jeanette Maynes, Salsa Group and Design House for the overall organisation, website, advertising and marketing of the event and Salsa Group.